If you or anyone you know is dealing with Cancer, or any “incurable” condition, then I am pleased to introduce you to the Gerson Therapy and The Gerson inpatient clinics : Clinica Nutricion y Vida, in Mexico, and Gerson Health Centre, in Hungary.
I have personally practiced the Gerson regime in a modified format drinking 6 glasses of juice and one coffee enema per day for only 10 days, and the benefits were amazing. My skin and eyes brightened up, those little aches ( in the joints ) went away and I had more energy then ever. I still today regularly juice carrot / apple juice and pay attention to my iodine, potassium verse sodium intake and do the ocassional enema.
Lots of Love and Aloha, Ali
Life’s Sweet. Live Better.
The Gerson Therapy
The Gerson Therapy is a safe, natural treatment developed by Dr. Max Gerson in the 1920’s that uses organic foods, juicing, coffee enemas, detoxification and natural supplements to activate the body’s ability to heal itself. According to the Gerson Institute, “Over the past 60 years, thousands of people have used the Gerson Therapy to recover from so-called “incurable” diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and arthritis.”
Gerson Therapy involves 3 important steps that have to be performed simultaneously. The first step is detoxification by coffee enemas. The second step is the Gerson Diet that supplies the essential nutrients including enzymes from 13 glasses daily of fresh vegetable and fruit juice. The third step is the supplement of deficient nutrients, particularly potassium, iodine, and thyroid hormones. Additional supplements are used that include niacin, pancreatin, flaxseed oil, castor oil, coenzyme Q10, Wobe-Mugos enzyme products, laetrile, crude liver or vitamin B12 injection, and gastrointestinal enzyme products. The therapy aims to restore the diseased cells in the body back to normal.
After the initial 6-12 week intensive treatment, the Gerson Therapy Program requires the cancer patient to adhere to a maintenance diet of low-salt, low-sugar, low-animal protein and high-potassium diet. All types of fresh and organic vegetables and fruits are encouraged. Tobacco, alcohol, canned, frozen, and other processed foods are discouraged. Salt and sugar are to be minimized or avoided completely – they should come from the natural foods, not from refined sources.
The detoxification of the liver and the production of thyroid hormones to regulate the immune system are crucial to cancer recovery. Liver detoxification with coffee enema is a very important procedure in Gerson Therapy. It lowers the quantity of blood serum toxins, cleaning the poison out of the fluid nourishing normal cells. Coffee enemas cause dilation of bile ducts, facilitating excretion of dead cancer cells by the liver and dialysis of toxic products from blood across the colonic wall.
The Gerson Therapy program requires dedication and discipline and hourly juicing – it simply will NOT WORK if you do not adhere to it completely, or if you cut corners and eat a few wrong foods here and there. It is ideally suited to the cancer survivor who is highly disciplined with enough energy to adhere to the strict regime.
Step 1 – Coffee Enemas
Coffee enemas have a very specific purpose in the treatment and reversal of cancer. They lower the quantity of blood serum toxins, cleaning the poisons out of fluids that nourish cells.
1. Add 3 tablespoonfuls of ground coffee beans to a quart (1 litre) of boiling water (either distilled or bottled water). Let the mixture boil for 3 minutes and allow it to simmer for another 15 minutes.
2. Filter the mixture and add more water to the liquid portion to fill up to a total volume of 1 quart (1 litre). Cool the liquid to room temperature. Hang the enema bag or bucket about 18 inches above the body. Prepare yourself to instil the coffee solution into the rectum.
3. Place some soft padding on the bathroom floor, cover it with plastic sheet and a towel, plop down a pillow and lie down on the padded floor on your right side, with legs pulled up in a relaxed position.
4. Take time to let gravity force the liquid into rectum and bowel. Hold the liquid inside the body for about 15 minutes, and then release the liquid.
Step 2 – The Gerson Diet
In general all the fruits and vegetables in Gerson diet should be organic and fresh. However, if it is not possible to obtain the organic produce, the supermarket fruits and vegetables should be thoroughly washed to clean the pesticides and herbicides.
1. All fruits and vegetables are acceptable except: berries, nuts, pineapple, avocados, and cucumber. Berries and pineapple may cause allergic reactions to the aromatic acids present. Nuts are too high in proteins. Avocados are too high in fats. Cucumbers in combination with the required juices are difficult to digest.
2. Salads of raw fruits and vegetables should be consumed as much as possible. The most common salad ingredients include apples, carrots, watercress, green onions, celery, lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, endive, chives, chicory, tomatoes, green peppers, radishes, beet, cabbage. Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and flaxseed oil may be used in salad dressing.
3. Potatoes are recommended for lunch and dinner. Brown or wild rice may be used to replace potatoes once in a while. Sweet potatoes (yams) may be served once a week.
4. Oatmeal is recommended for breakfast. Apple, papaya, or other fresh fruits may be added. Honey, pure maple syrup, or un-sulphured blackstrap molasses may be used as sweetener except for diabetic and hypoglycaemic patients. Dried fruits may also be added, but they should be un-sulphured and unsweetened. It is recommended they should be stewed.
5. The Hippocrates Special Cancer Soup is recommended as a starter to every meal. A minimum of 8 ounces may be consumed in each meal. The soup is prepared from the following ingredients:
(a) 3 to 4 stalks of celery
(b) Small amount of parsley
(c) 1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes
(d) 2 medium onions
(e) 2 small leaks or 2 additional medium onion
(f) A few cloves of garlic
(g) 1 pound of potatoes
The above ingredients are to be covered with filtered or mountain spring water and cooked for 2 hours. The mixture can be processed to a thick creamy soup in food mill, allowed only fibres and peels to remain. It is recommended to prepare the soup and refrigerate it only for 2 days of consumption.
6. Herbs and spices are not recommended during the healing process in the first few weeks of treatment because they tend to interfere with the healing response. Dr Gerson limited the use of such aromatics to small quantities of the mild ones such as allspice, anise, bay leaf, coriander, dill, fennel, mace, marjoram, rosemary, sage, saffron, tarragon, thyme, sorrel and summer savoury.
7. In cooking vegetables, water should be added as little as possible because there are already enough natural water in the 13 glasses of juices.
8. Salt-free and fat-free rye bread may be eaten only after consuming the full required meal. An example of a breakfast may include 8 ounces of orange juice, a bowl of cooked oatmeal with choice fruits, and toasted rye bread. An example of a lunch or dinner may include salad of mixed raw fruits and vegetables, a bowl of Hippocrates Special Cancer Soup, 8 ounces of apple-carrot juice, one baked potato, freshly cooked vegetables, raw or stewed fruits. The book “The Gerson Therapy” published in 2001 by Charlotte Gerson and Morton Walker includes many recipes for the Gerson meals. The book can be purchased online from Amazon.
9. Thirteen glasses daily of fresh fruit and vegetable juices are the most important component in Gerson Therapy because they supply the needed enzymes, vitamins and minerals to restore the diseased body to healthy condition. Eight ounces of fruit or vegetable juice are to be freshly prepared and consumed every hour during the day for 13 hours. About 4 to 6 glasses of apple-carrot juices, and 2 to 4 glasses of green leaf juices should be maintained daily, and the rest of the 13 glasses may be other fruit or vegetable juices.
Based on the “The Gerson Therapy Handbook”, Companion Workbook to “A Cancer Therapy, Results of Fifty Cases”, the vegetables used in green juice should be from the following list :
ü Romaine lettuce
ü Swiss chard
ü Beet tops (young inner leaves)
ü Some red cabbage
ü Green pepper
A typical schedule of 13 glasses* of juices and 3 regular meals in Gerson diet is as follows:
8:00 AM – Orange juice and BREAKFAST
9:00 AM – A glass of Green juice
9:30 AM – A glass of apple-carrot juice
10:00AM – A glass of apple-carrot juice
11:00AM – A glass of carrot juice
12:00PM – A glass of green juice
1:00 PM – A glass of apple-carrot juice and LUNCH
2:00 PM – A glass of green juice
3:00 PM – A glass of carrot juice
4:00 PM – A glass of carrot juice
5:00 PM – A glasses of apple-carrot juice
6:00 PM – A glass of green juice
7:00 PM – A glass of apple-carrot juice and DINNER
*A glass should have about 8-oz content.
Prohibited Gerson Therapy Foods & Substances
The following foods are to be completely avoided on the Gerson Therapy Program for cancer patients. Failure to comply 100% of the time will render the Gerson therapy ineffective.
1. All manufactured or processed foods such as those that are bottled, canned, frozen, preserved, refined, salted, smoked, or sulphured (except as specifically mentioned as being allowed) are forbidden.
2. Dairy products of all types such as milk and milk products (including goat’s milk) are forbidden. They include cheese, cream, ice cream, ice milk, butter, and buttermilk, except as specifically allowed under proteins. However, fresh, churned buttermilk without any additives may be taken after the sixth to twelfth week of healing, as well as unsalted, non-fat Quark.
3. Alcohol is prohibited because it limits the blood’s ability to carry oxygen and places strain on the liver to detoxify and remove it from the body.
4. Pineapples and berries may cause an allergic reaction to the aromatic acids present.
5. Avocados are too high in fats.
6. Cucumbers in combination with the required juices to be taken daily are difficult to digest.
7. Spices such as black pepper or paprika are irritants. Basil, oregano, and others are to be avoided because of their high aromatic acid content. Cayenne pepper, jalapenos, and so on are also irritants and can stop the healing.
8. Soybeans and soy products including tofu, tempeh, miso, tamari, soy sauces, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, textured vegetable protein, soy milk, and all other soy-based products are disallowed. For a variety of different reasons including their high fat content, high sodium content. toxic inhibition to nutrient absorption, and/or elevated protein content, use of soy in all its forms must be avoided.
9. Dried beans and legumes should not be used.
10. Sprouted Alfalfa and Other Bean or Seed Sprouts are high in L-canavanine, an immature amino acid that is responsible for immune system suppression. Also, patients with no prior history of chronic joint pain have developed the sudden onset of arthritic symptoms upon ingesting alfalfa sprouts. Healthy monkeys have developed lupus erythematosus from alfalfa sprouts in their diet.
11. Oils and fats of all kinds are forbidden, with the exception of fresh, raw, organic flaxseed oil.
12. Flour and refined white and brown sugars are forbidden.
13. Beef, pork, poultry, eggs, fish, seafood, and all other meat or animal flesh products are prohibited. These animal foods are high in protein, fats, chemicals, preservatives, hormones, and salt, and are difficult to digest.
14. Black tea, green tea, and other non-herbal or caffeine-containing teas are forbidden because of their undesirable aromatic acids and caffeine content. Dr Gerson cited aromatics as interfering with healing by producing allergic reactions.
15. Candy, cakes, muffins, pastries, and other refined sweets are prohibited. Some breads and pastries may be baked using permitted ingredients, but must not be consumed on a regular basis.
16. The drinking of water is not encouraged. Dr Gerson believed that a Gerson Therapy patient should not drink water, because it dilutes the stomach acid and doesn’t allow maximum gastrointestinal tract capacity for nutrition from fresh foods and juices. The juices already provide adequate fluids.
17. Mushrooms are not vegetables but fungi and contain complex proteins and are difficult to digest and offer little nutrition and should be avoided.
18. Coffee and coffee substitutes by mouth, both with and without caffeine cause undesirable stimulation of the digestive system. However, when coffee is taken rectally, it offers an entirely advantageous effect on the liver where, aside from detoxification, it increases the production of glutathione S-transferase (a desirable enzyme).
19. Nuts and seeds, including almonds, apricot kernels, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, peanuts, cashews, and all other nuts and seeds, are prohibited because they are too high in protein, fat and salt when roasted.
20. Hot peppers (jalapenos, etc) contain the same strong aromatics found in prohibited spices. Peppers tend to inhibit healing responses and should be avoided. Green, yellow, and sweet red peppers may be used without limitation.
21. Mustard and carrot greens should be avoided.
22. Baking powder and baking soda contain sodium and alum (aluminium), which arc highly toxic. Aluminium-free and sodium-free baking powder such as Featherweight (potassium-based powder) may be used occasionally.
23. Any product that contains fluoride such as fluoridated water, toothpaste, mouth gargle, hair dyes, beauty parlour permanents, cosmetics, under-arm deodorants, lipstick, and lotions (including moisturising lotions) must be totally avoided. Flaxseed oil may be applied to the skin as a moisturizer.
Step 3 – Nutritional Supplements
Gerson Therapy doesn’t require too many nutritional supplements because all the essential nutrients are already present in the Gerson diet. Following are the few supplements used in the Gerson Therapy.
1. Lugol Solution – The conventional USP concentration of a Lugol solution contains 5 grams of iodine and 10 grams of potassium iodide in 100 ml solution. The concentration of the Lugol solution used in Gerson Therapy is 5 grams of potassium iodide and 10 grams of iodine in 200 ml solution. Typical dosage using Gerson ‘s Lugol solution for cancer patients not pre-treated with chemotherapy is 3 drops added to orange or apple-carrot juice 6 times a day. This is reduced to one drop 6 times a day after 2 to 3 weeks. For cancer patients pre-treated with chemotherapy start with one drop 6 times a day. The dosage is reduced after 5 to 6 weeks to 3 to 4 drops a day. Lugol solution should not be added to green leaf juices.
2. Potassium Compound Salts – Dr Gerson believed that the beginning of all degenerative diseases is the loss of potassium ions in the cells, and the invasion of sodium ions along with water into the cells. This brings on edema, loss of electrical potentials in the cells, improper enzyme formation, reduced cell oxidation, and other cell malfunctions. The building of almost all enzymes by the cells requires potassium as a catalyst. In contrast, sodium inhibits enzyme production. A solution of potassium compound salts is made from 33 grams each of potassium acetate, potassium monophosphate, and potassium gluconate, diluted in 32 ounces of distilled. Typical dosage varies from 1 to 4 teaspoonfuls 10 times a day of the prepared solution (total 3.5 to 14 grams of potassium daily). They are added to orange, apple-carrot, or green leaf juices, but not to pure carrot juice. The primary benefit of potassium compound salts is to treat the tissue damage syndrome (TDS), which is found in all cancers.
3. Acidol-Pepsin Capsule (betaine HCL and pepsin) – This is used for aiding digestion of foods and juices. The dosage is 2 capsules 3 times a day.
4. Niacin (Vitamin B3) – Normal dosage for cancer patients is six 50-mg tablets of niacin daily for 6 months. For advanced cancer cases, the dosage is increased to 50 mg of niacin every hour, 24 hours a day (a total of 1200 mg niacin daily). Gerson Therapy uses the nicotinic form of niacin, which may cause skin-flushing effect with temporary but harmless redness, heat, and itching. It should not be discontinued if this skin flush occurs because niacin provides vasodilation, which improves blood circulation, elevates skin temperature, increases oxygenation, promotes cellular nutrition, and produces an overall detoxification effect. (There is also a flush-free brand of niacin). However, niacin should be discontinued during the menstruation or any type of bleeding.
5. Pancreatin Enzyme Tablets – These tablets contain 3 groups of enzymes for the digestion and absorption of foods. The 3 groups are the lipases that digest fats, the amylases that digest starches, and the proteases that digest the proteins as well as the tumour masses. The recommended dosage is three 325-mg tablets 4 times a day. According to Dr Gerson, pancreatin should not be given to sarcoma patients.
6. Flaxseed Oil – The normal dosage is 2 tablespoonfuls of organic cold-pressed flaxseed oil daily for the first month, then reduced to one tablespoonful daily afterwards. Flaxseed oil is best taken at lunch or dinner as part of the salad dressing, or on potatoes or vegetables. It should not be heated or cooked. It should be noted that the champion researcher of flaxseed oil, Dr. Johanna Budwig of Germany recommended a combination of one part flaxseed oil and 4 parts cottage cheese for cancer patients, however, cottage cheese is a prohibited food in Gerson Therapy in the first 6 to 12 weeks of treatment.
7. Bee Pollen and Royal Jelly – Bee pollen is to be taken when proteins are reintroduced into the patient’s diet, starting from approximately 10th to 12th week of treatment. The normal dosage is 2 to 4 teaspoonfuls a day of bee pollen. Royal jelly is an optional supplement. The normal dosage is 100 mg in capsule form taken one hour before breakfast. It should not be taken with hot food.
8. Vitamin B12 injection and Crude Liver Extract – Vitamin B12 in Gerson Therapy is administered by intramuscular injection into the gluteus medius muscle, o.1 cc (100 mcg) once daily for 4 to 6 months or more. It is accompanied simultaneously (in the same injection syringe) by 3 cc of crude liver extract.
9. Vitamin C – The Gerson Therapy dosage of vitamin C is 1.0 to 1.5 grams daily in the form of ascorbic acid, not in the form of calcium or sodium ascorbate. Megadoses of Vitamin C are permitted, either intravenously or in tablet form of 30-50 grams daily.
10. Charcoal Tablet – This is only used in the case of diarrhoea or problems in the gas absorption in the intestinal tract. The dosage depends on the extent of the symptoms.
11. Amygdalin or Laetrile – This is an optional supplement because of the legality of its use in the United States. However, it is used in most of the cancer clinics in Tijuana with a normal dosage of 9 grams of laetrile together with megadoses of vitamin C and B-complex intravenously daily for 3 to 6 weeks. It is one of the more expensive parts in cancer treatment in Tijuana.
Gerson Therapy Cancer Survival Studies
1. 36 patients with Colon cancer that had metastasised to the liver where placed on the Gerson Diet against 36 control patients with similar diagnosis, not on the Gerson Diet. Mean survival with Gerson Diet: 28.6 months. Mean survival without Gerson Diet: 16.2 months. Duration of treatment unknown. [Study conducted by Germany’s Lechner P, Kronberger J. Erfahrungen mit dem einsatz der diat-therapie in der chirurgischen onkologie. Akt.Ernahr-Med 1990;15:72-8.]
2. 153 patients with Melanoma cancer were treated with the Gerson Diet. All 14 early stage (I and II) patients were disease free at 17 years, compared to survival rates reported in the literature of 80% – 95%. Of the 35 stage III patients, the five-year survival rate was 71%, compared to survival rates reported in the literature of 27% to 42% (p=0.002). Of the 18 stage IV patients, the five-year survival was 39%, compared to 6% to 20% in the literature (p<0.001). Not included in this analysis were 53 patients who were lost to follow-up. [Study conducted by Hildenbrand G, Hildenbrand L. Five year survival rates of melanoma patients treated by diet therapy after the manner of gerson: A retrospective review. Alternative Therapies 1995 Sep;Vol 1(4).
The Gerson Therapy Cures Chief of Surgery at U.S. Hospital
Dr. Lorraine Day has impressive credentials. She is an internationally acclaimed orthopedic trauma surgeon and author. She was for 15 years on the faculty of the University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine as Associate Professor and Vice Chairman of the Department of Orthopedics. She was also Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at San Francisco General Hospital and is recognized world-wide as an AIDS expert. She has been invited to lecture extensively throughout the U.S. and the world; appeared on numerous radio and television shows, including 60 Minutes, Nightline, CNN Crossfire, Oprah Winfrey, and Larry King Live.
Dr. Day was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer but rejected standard therapies because of their destructive side effects and because those therapies often lead to death. She chose instead to rebuild her immune system using the natural, simple, inexpensive therapies designed by God and outlined in the Bible, so her body could heal itself. http://www.drday.com
You Have Cancer. You’re Going to Die! the doctors told me… “But they were wrong!” says Lorraine Day M.D. She was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and had a lumpectomy of a small tumor. But the tumor soon recurred, became very aggressive and grew rapidly. Yet Dr. Day rejected standard therapies because of their destructive side effects and because those therapies often lead to death. She chose instead to rebuild her immune system using the natural, simple inexpensive therapies designed by God and available to everyone, so her body could heal itself.
In her two videos, “You Can’t Improve on God” and “Cancer Doesn’t Scare Me Anymore”, Dr. Day explains why you don’t have to accept a death sentence from your doctor and how this plan has been used successfully by many patients with different types of life-threatening diseases to regain their health.
Dr. Lorraine Day is now alive and healthy. Most impressive was her statement that she rejected “traditional” therapies because she studied the medical literature – which proved to her that these treatments are ineffective! Why are patients not given this information, available to professionals? Dr. Day says she came to the common sense conclusion that “you cannot destroy the immune system and get well at the same time.” She discovered nutritional healing, the Gerson Therapy, and says: “CANCER DOESN’T SCARE ME ANYMORE!”
Dr. Lorraine Day has the courage to defy orthodox medicine by getting up before the entire audience of the Cancer Control Society and testifying, as follows:
“I am Dr. Lorraine Day. Some of you know me from the book I wrote: AIDS What the Government Isn’t Telling You. Several years ago, I actually spoke here about AIDS. I have been coming to the Cancer Control Society meetings regularly for three years and I have learned more about medicine and how to take care of yourself than I learned in 20 years as an orthodox trauma surgeon. I knew nothing about nutrition as a medical doctor. In the four years of medical school, you don’t have one single hour of information on nutrition. I have talked about that and admitted that I, in the past, have told patients that their nutrition has really nothing to do with their health. I was ignorant, I was stupid as many orthodox medical doctors are. Fortunately, I found out what was really going on in the health field by coming to the Cancer Control Society, and I started speaking out about it, studying it and actually had a radio show called “Truth Serum” where I was interviewing many alternative doctors. In the middle of that, I found out that I had breast cancer. I had infiltrating ductal carcinoma and it was spreading through my breast.
I went to my first doctor to have the lump taken out. At that time I did not know it was cancer. He refused to take care of me unless I had pre-operative chemotherapy. Even though I told him that I was a physician, and that I would sign any papers releasing him from any legal liability – but that I didn’t want chemotherapy. I just wanted the lump taken out and diagnosed. He said, No. His reputation was at stake. So, I walked out of his office realizing that the law considers it acceptable for a physician to abandon a patient if the patient refuses the doctor’s prescription. So I went to a former resident colleague, who is a breast cancer surgeon. He took the lump out but he couldn’t get all the cancer. He said, ‘You have to have your breast removed.’ I refused. Then he said, ‘If you don’t have your breast removed, you must have radiation therapy.’ Once again, I declined. Then he said, ‘You must have chemotherapy or some other kind of treatment to destroy these cancer cells.’ I told him, ‘No. I brought you a whole stack of books, if you really want to learn about cancer. Read these books. I won’t have any of the orthodox treatments just take the lump out.’ He said that he could not get all the cancer. I said, ‘Fine. Everybody gets cancer all the time. My body can take care of that!’
I immediately went home and called up Marilyn Barnes, whom you just heard earlier. (Marilyn Barnes had just previously testified to her total recovery, now over 14 years, from stage 4 melanoma as well as carcinoma in situ – cervical cancer on the Gerson Therapy.) [Marilyn] came to my house and set me up. She taught a woman I hired how to do the Gerson Therapy. The Gerson Therapy was going to be the basis of my treatment. I started the juices, the enemas, the whole business. In fact, I looked at cancer as a great adventure. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the time to take all the different alternatives, but I tried as many as I could. But the Gerson Diet is the basis of all my treatment. I am fine. I am healthy. I don’t have any evidence of cancer. It has only been close to a year, but I have absolute confidence that I’ll be well and healthy for many, many years to come.”
The Gerson Therapy: Cancer Survival Testimonials
Below are links to testimonials and case histories of cancer survivors who have beaten cancer using the Gerson Therapy program.